In order to fulfill the school’s vision, Southwest Christian High School assumes the following three principles:
- The Bible is the basis of all knowledge, understanding, and wisdom, and pertains to every realm of life and thought (Proverbs 1:2–7). Therefore, the Bible is the basis for all true education. Only by learning the Bible itself, and seeing the world through its lens, will students learn and teachers educate as God intended.
- The purpose of the creation is to reveal and glorify God (Romans 1:20, Psalm 145:10). Therefore, the purpose of education, which studies the creation, is to reveal and glorify God.
- God is fully revealed and glorified by the creation only in Jesus Christ and by the power of the Holy Spirit (Colossians 1:17–20, I Corinthians 2:10–14, II Corinthians 3:14). Therefore, education will only fulfill its purpose when students and teachers place the Lord Jesus Christ at the center of learning and teaching, and rely upon the Holy Spirit to illuminate the meaning of the creation they study. Putting Jesus Christ at the center impacts both the content of the curriculum and the method by which it is taught and learned. This is why education should be Christian.
The principles and values of Southwest Christian High School distinguish it from many other schools, both public and private, in the following ways:
- Because the Bible is the basis for all education, SWCHS trains staff, students, and their families to study it responsibly and to observe the world through its lens.
- Because education was meant to glorify and reveal God, Southwest Christian challenges its staff, students, and their families to discover God and His purposes in every area of life and thought – curricular and extracurricular, related or apparently unrelated to church and daily devotions.
- Because faith in Jesus Christ, empowered by the Holy Spirit, is the center of education, SWCHS nurtures true Christian faith in its staff, students, and their families.
- Because a humble and faith-filled heart is a necessary key to God’s guidance in education, Southwest Christian exhorts its staff, students, and their families to respond to God with a genuine willingness to follow Him in any way that He leads.
- Because learning depends so heavily upon the character of the teacher and learner, SWCHS expects its students, staff, and families to live according to God’s standards of personal integrity.
- Because God requires wholehearted excellence in everything, Southwest Christian provides a rigorous academic, athletic, and artistic program that demands excellence.
- Because a Christian school is an assistant to born-again parents and local churches, SWCHS partners with parents to “train a child in the way he should go” (Proverbs 22:6) and with local churches to “command and teach these things” (I Timothy 4:11–16).
Students who enroll at Southwest Christian have already professed faith in Jesus Christ, and yet we have diversity among our students in terms of denominational background, faith journeys, race, gender, income level, and national or ethnic origin. Each student is upheld as a distinct, gifted individual—loved by God and created in the image of God.