SWCHS Music Chicago Trip
Published March 30, 2023
The Southwest Christian High School music students departed for Chicago early on March 30. 66 students and 11 chaperones boarded a bus at 7 a.m. with the first stop on their tour being Wheaton College in Illinois. Wheaton hosted a Music Conservatory tour. SWCHS then headed to the Magnificent Mile shopping strip before heading to dinner.
On Friday, the group did some sightseeing at the Shedd Aquarium and the Museum of Science and Industry and attended a Blue Man Group performance. On Saturday, the group went to the Willis Tower before the group performances.
SWCHS competed against 25 ensembles for the Worldstrides Chicago Heritage Festival. The choir performed at Bolingbrook High School, and both the symphonic and jazz bands performed at Plainfield East High School. Here are a few highlights from their performances:
- Competed against 25 ensembles at the WorldStrides Chicago Heritage Festival
- Earned 2 gold plaques (Chamber Singers/Una Voce & Jazz Band)
- 1 1st Rating (Chamber Singers/Una Voce),
- 1 silver plaque (Symphonic Band)
- 4 Maestro Solo Awards (Logan Kimmel, Anna Nykanen, Cooper Gunhus, Daniel Bozanich)
- Best Instrumental Group (Adjudicator Award) – Jazz Band
- Best All-Around School Award (Sweepstakes Award) – Chambers, Una Voce, Jazz Band, Symphonic Band
To end the trip, the group attended Medieval Times: Dinner and Show. SWCHS music students returned to campus on Sunday, April 2. We are grateful for the opportunity these students had to explore Chicago and have new experiences.